Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tell Tale 8

The lost interesting cell in the body

There were 3 people in the car on the freeway to California. The road was not too much trouble but winding just enough for the driver to enjoy the pulls of G-forces. The one in the back was almost sleepy or almost asleep and nobody knew. The songs being played in the car were getting boring after being played over and over again, which subsequently led to FM being unanimously preferred, which was also boring and again subsequently unanimously decided to be turned off. One of the people was driving, the other one almost asleep and one guy who could not sleep nor enjoy the grip of the wheel was getting nervous with boredom. That was me.

I wanted to start some conversation that would be interesting enough to wake the sleepy guy and distract the driver who's enjoyment I had come to envy by now. I was searching really bad through the many many conversational topics I had used before. Here comes the catch. Not all topics are readily acceptable because the driver was a girl. So, no "A" jokes, no topics involving mud, blood or beer. And that was most of my conversational arsenal. It had become a challenge now which was actually sad.

Now, I remembered reading a medical magazine which had once started a huge debate among my other bunch of guys. The magazine had quizzed about "the most interesting cell in the human body." Well, my answer was obviously the sperm as it is the only cell that gets to have a fat girl friend. The answer was as lame as it could get because the probability that one sperm out of the million other people could get one was almost negligible and considering all the hardship our poor guy has to go through to get to her, it really was not worth the effort. And thus started the debate. And I decided that it would be a good starter to spur a banter.

I ask, "So, what do you guys think is the most interesting cell in the human body?"

The girl goes, "I know what you have in mind, now look at the map and see how far away is the next exit."

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Interesting story. But you posted it twice.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 5:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Ravi Ramaswamy said...

fiction, eh? Are you sure the girl didn't think it was the ovum?? definitely rarer than the ubiquitous sperm.. But the sperm.. quite a fighter.. defines the 'survival of the fittest' quite perfectly..

Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 11:24:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The Kid said...

Thanks Lara. I deleted the redundant post.

Ravi: The lady of the Tale-8 could have thought as you suggested. But I have realized that even though I create the characters, they seem to have a mind of their own. They all do.

Friday, June 30, 2006 at 2:03:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home