Saturday, November 18, 2006

Tell Tale 13

I was bored one afternoon and was going through our almirah, the store room for something old, something with a long forgotten history, some amulet which was the pride of my paati. Other than the sneezes I got from the dust allergy I also found an old photo album. The album itself was not too old, but the photos looked much older, in contrast to the people in the pictures.

Most were wedding pictures of my maternal grandparents. I hear my great grand parents were very affluent and had grand weddings. I had seen the pictures before, but I could not recognize any of them in the pictures. The pictures mostly were of the kanyadhanam, Oonjal and nalangu. Typical of a tamil brahmin family. My grand parents were iyer, vathima (that is like sub-sub sect) to be precise. In case you were wondering, I am half black.

I was generally browsing through the pictures when I saw a particular striking picture. There was one young girl in the picture, just her near a tree. She must have been the bride. This girl had no resemblance to my grand mother and I guessed that it must be somebody else's marriage.

The more I looked at the picture, the more beautiful she was. She was laughing with with her hand on her chest, over her new thaali (mangalsutra) hanging from her bright yellow cotton thread still stiff with the starch. Her huge eyes gleaming in the sun, her mouth open wide, flashing her teeth in her laughter. She was looking at something in the sky. It was her marriage and she was glowing like a princess.

The girl must have been 18 years old. You would think she was too young to be married, but she looked very happy that day. She was not skinny at all and her cheeks looked chubby enough for me to want to give her a gentle pinch. The vangi (armlet) that was slipping down from her blouse sleeve was squeezing her bicep.

The short sleeved shirt or sattai of which only the sleeves were visible had a wide jarigai (zari). Her blouse colour was the same as her saree, which was ofcourse worn as a madisaar. Her umbodhu gajam (9 yards) or padinettu mozam saree was worn perfectly, in the proper "Vaathima" way. Her thalappu (pallu) was hanging for just about a foot from her tummy. It was very tempting to look at her waist where a small triangle of previously unexposed pale skin contrasted very very well with the thaali koorai colour (a dark maroon like a wet terra-cotta brick) of her saree.

She was standing bare foot and the heavy silver golusu (anklet) was almost touching the grass. I am sure her man kissed her shiny new metti (toe ring) over her red marudhaani (henna) tainted toe. Her right leg was actually behind her left, and her kosuvam (pleats) hanging between her legs was gently blown by the wind, revealing cute cupped calf muscles. She had her other hand on her hip which is when I realized her figure was stunning. It must be because of the "Vathima" style madisaar, which is to be worn "kreech" (chik), where you would not believe there was 9 yards of silk around the body. I could actually see her figure through the thick yardage. She was the sexiest girl I have ever seen and she did not even have lipstick.

Just then my mom interupted me from behind "She is my periyamma (mom's elder sister), and you should not be looking at elders like that."

My explanation was more embarrassing than my gawp, "I was just wondering what she was looking at , amma."

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

really are u kid??sems not to me u r more like......

Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 8:43:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a real story to me.

out of curiosity, do you follow the sub-sects? are parents still particular about vaathima, vadamaal and all that?

i've never dared to ask my parents about that. marriage becomes complicated like that, no?

Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 9:59:00 AM CST  
Blogger The Kid said...

@visheshur: go on complete teh sentence... "I am more like a .. " :)

@anon: I do not think you need to "dare" to ask. I would love to follow my sub-sect... without any support from our generation the culture will just die away. I am currently not really following anything. But I always thought the madisaar was really cute... I once asked my mom to wear it everyday :)

Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 3:01:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh i wholehearted support your statement about supporting the culture. my sentiments exactly. but what if i fail to find someone as suave as you in my sub-sect?

Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 11:46:00 PM CST  
Blogger The Kid said...

@anon: Thanks a lot for considering suave :) This is a first timer ! I did not say I want to marry or have a girl friend only in my sub-sect.

Well, after I have spent a lot of years looking for a girl, if I am unsuccessful, I will need an excuse right? So, there I will use sub-sect specification as my excuse!

Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 1:38:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a dersprate flrit..or more..

Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 6:00:00 AM CST  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

good one..

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 11:49:00 PM CST  
Blogger Artnavy said...

hey read this on ammani and found it cool

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 at 3:46:00 AM CST  
Blogger Lidia said...

Haha - this is hilarious! I loved the last line! You have great comedic timing when you write!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 12:24:00 AM CST  
Blogger mommyof2 said...

there is nothing wrong in thinking that someone is sexy.. I think you should even tell the person and make their day:-)Sometimes I usedto call my grandma "sexy dadi" and she used to smile & act shy while shaking her head;-)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 5:14:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kid or THe ENFP i kinda agree with iamvisheshur on the part that u are a desparate flirt. i appreciate u supporting our rich culture.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 5:27:00 AM CST  
Blogger Archana said...

This post felt like you were describing a statue or some work of art! Don't know if you thought of it that way :-P - in any case, nice description!

BTW, was this picture in color? Did they have color pictures back then??

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 12:19:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, very nice potential for a short story- nice description of the woman, though largely physical!!!
suave??? wow, how did I miss that :D??

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 11:15:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home