Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tell Tale 22: I forgot my words

I did not spend time with you for a while and now you seem to be forgetting me altogether. Am I to blame if I don't use all the words that I know of? Actually I went into a lengthy and tedious exercise of learning thousands of new English words, to score well in an English test. That was long time back and I cannot remember all those words now.

Ah! it was such a nice time. During the preparation I came to understand the beautiful curves of the language and even the maturity of the vocabulary. It seems, because your language has been around for a while, there is a word to describe every feeling humanly possible, and anything can be described succinctly in a canonical, unambiguous and meaningful way. And that was my style to be, for a while. The elegance of short and curt sentences. A little rhyme, perhaps. You know all that!

We were such good friends, me and my lovely words. But then, I got busy with other things, and I did not visit you frequently. I did not notice when you were around, now you have completely forgotten me. While I am to blame for not maintaining good relations, it was not all my fault, for I had too many words to count. And I did not really understand a few of you well enough to have a sentence party with.

You don't seem to understand, that I am really trying to make things work. I write infrequently, but I do try to use as many as possible but they you would not come to meet me. I started a blog, and it was a fine opportunity to give us a fresh start, but now, you have found new friends. You tell me that, bloggers like ATP, eM, Shoefiend, ... treat you like royalty. I try to explain to you that they are professional writers and journalists and these bloggers are "using" you, for their profit, but you are already drunk with their bribes. How do I explain to you that I truly love you guys?

Yes, I am quite notorious for making spelling mistakes, but you see this new blogger interface corrects me, that at least saves us the public humiliation. I understand when you say, good friends should at least be able to spell each other. I am trying, I truly am. But give me some time.

I promise to play with you. I promise to not cheat; I won't use the thesaurus. Do you remember?, in high school, when I was asked for the expansion for "SCUBA", I said "Sacrificial Claustrophobic Ululating Blanching Apparatus". Such fun we used to have!

Oh! my wonderful vocabulary, Please come back to me!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger rads said...

rofl :) That was a creative piece Kiddo. Very nicely done!

Vocab likes to be used. Often. It gets better and shines with the more its used :)

Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 7:14:00 PM CST  
Blogger The Kid said...

Bonjour Mademossaile! merci merci!

btw, this is a fictional piece. Of course I am in full command of my vocab. What do you think?

:p

Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 10:54:00 PM CST  
Blogger Vishesh said...

fully in command.....hu?

can you write a sentence with words starting from all the sentence...its should be minimum 26 words that means i guess...:P

Monday, February 18, 2008 at 2:56:00 AM CST  
Blogger Ravi Ramaswamy said...

good one! I liked this. Very imaginative.

Monday, February 18, 2008 at 5:32:00 AM CST  
Blogger Archana said...

LOL :-)! Your command over vocabulary, huh? Certain sparkling examples come to mind :-P!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 4:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a brilliant tell tale !

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 8:13:00 AM CST  
Blogger The Kid said...

@vishes: nee solradhu ennakku purilla

@ravi & dushti: thank you thank you! finally you were able to see the brilliance in me.

@archana: overa pesine, mmpk!

Friday, February 22, 2008 at 8:20:00 AM CST  
Blogger black coffee said...

that was lovely!
made me laugh.. i don mean a bunch of lols but the big roflmao!
cheers!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 4:05:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home