Friday, February 16, 2007

Tell Tale 15

Who is this guy?

She answered my question with "My favorite is Wodehouse, he is so funny!"

I started reading when my one of my friends introduced me to Sydney Sheldon. It was my first big break from cartoon comics. I used to read Chandamama and it was in Tamil. Until I was 10 years old, I had never read any story that was more than a 10 pages long. I started with Sidney Sheldon, and they were good. Simple stories to follow. I was also excited to read about how the woman kisses and makes love. Loved "the rage of angels". Still love it.

Then one of my friends ridiculed Sheldon and suggested somebody else. It was Wilbur Smith's "When the lion feeds". They were African diamonds from one burning coast to the other. Many teenage trips to a continent that I have not be able to make even once in reality. I could not make up my mind if Wilbur Smith was a better writer than Sheldon. I was later introduced to Joseph Heller, Anne Frank, Jhumpa Lahiri, Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Heinlein and got lost along the way. Still pretty random at selecting an author. So, I still have not read every famous author and many classics.

Coming back to the the lady on the other side of the phone, she was a new acquaintance. For weeks I was so busy trying to impress that I was skipping niceties.

The first week, I called her cell phone and after customary pleasantries, I started the real conversation: who is your favorite author?

It was a bad question to begin with, especially when I was already well aware that she knows a lot more than I do. The scale was tipping heavily on her side.

She: "My favorite is Wodehouse, he is so funny!"

Who the hell is Wodehouse? Is he a "he"? Is he good? Must be, she has been reading a lot lately and must have a good taste. Does this Wodehouse write contemporary stuff? is he a Pulitzer or even a Nobel? because if he is any of I that, I am doomed! How dare I ask such a question? Is this Wodehouse still alive? man!

The way she was talking about this Wodehouse, he seems to have a cult following. How lazy of me to not read a single Wodehouse book! Damn my high school friends, if only they had been classy, they would have given me a Wodehouse instead of a Harold Robbins!

I googled for Wodehouse quickly.

Me: I hate dead white English writers. Bloody imperialist bastards. Except of course the Bard (meaning Shakespeare, As though I have read all of his plays.)

She: (Mostly falling for the Shakespeare part) Wodehouse is very funny, he even make fun of the Britishers, English elite mostly.

Phew!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Archana said...

believe me... woodehouse works reaaally hard to be funny... after an exhausting long paragraph one wonders if one should laugh so tht the author's ghost is happy.

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 12:42:00 AM CST  
Blogger Lidia said...

I'm embarressed....wodehouse sounds like a real estate agent to me...i'm so uncultured!

Great tall tale!
-Amy

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 2:50:00 AM CST  
Blogger Vishesh said...

it is time you read the bard's works my friend...
and try paulo coelho..
lol
or something childis harry potter!!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 3:57:00 AM CST  
Blogger Artnavy said...

it is Sidney sheldon

read wodehouse- u will love him

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM CST  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

First Tinkle, chandamama, sidney sheldon, harold robbins during teenage years peppered with Archer, PGW et al, then Ayn Rand when you start work and then slowly graduate to Paul Krugman and the kind. Thats the usual order. So next time you wanna talk books, follow this thumb of rule.:-)

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 8:50:00 PM CST  
Blogger Archana Bahuguna said...

Very Funny! :-)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 1:15:00 PM CST  
Blogger The Visitor said...

You have hurt me deeply by calling P G Wodewhouse names :(
Read him (before you make nasty comments ;)

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 5:01:00 AM CST  
Blogger The girl said...

//I was also excited to read about how the woman kisses and makes love//

How coarse can you get? Atleast try to sugar coat such "deep urges". This is very sloppy writing.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 7:07:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home