Monday, March 17, 2008

Acceptance of mediocrity

When I started blogging, about 3 years back, it was the pure thrill of letting random people see through my thoughts. I have since learned that I am not such an extrovert, however, ideas remain one the favorite things to share through this blog. Then there was a slump, and I had forgotten about this blog for a while, but then, I was introduced to a new generation of bloggers. A set of bloggers who could write masterpieces, such confident vocabulary usage. They were such an inspiration. And for a time it was good.

Fresh minds, random ideas, a million different styles of writing. Multifarious levels of disclosing personal details. Not all blog were happy though, some expressed sadness so beautifully, lots of kid blogs, a few tales to remember.

What saddens me is that fact that, many of the blogs I have personally adored and endorsed previously, have been doing such a sloppy job recently, that it makes me cringe with disappointment. There is one blogger who can write well, (trust me, I have read some of his stories), then I have no idea why he designates to the blog only crappy and second grade half baked posts, and uninteresting reviews about even worse movies and music.

Then there were these ultra popular bloggers, with whom I just got jaded. It so happens some cannot change their styles, or get creative. They were recycling ideas and even words. Some bloggers with nothing to write about, have started writing about their daily lives, which much to my chagrin, is not any more interesting than mine. One brilliant blogger has no time to write, and so runs these competitions where she gets other people to write on some topics.

Mediocrity! Mediocrity! everywhere! How did this go unnoticed? Every morning I open my RSS feed reader, and I have a daily dose of disappointment with my coffee. Forget about creativity, people don't have time to write complete sentences, but are verbose enough to describe a vain banal piece of curio. It does not look like people are even trying, but expect comments for their substandard writing. You think you are cute when you write such stuff? You think it is funny?

The unfettered use of mediocrity has suddenly become the norm. I am not a guy who stands to see this flagrant brandishing of crappiness and not talk about it. If you thought you could get away with all this, watch this space and one day I might be thrashing your blog too! I am not going to tell you how to write your blog. You all know how to write, and what it takes to make it better, lest you want to see the number of visitors dwindle.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Vishesh said...

hmm....where do i fit into this?

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 7:52:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post.

But you have to understand, blogging is simply an outlet for peoples' inherent narcissism and that isn't such a bad thing.

Like someone said, bloggers are merely failed writers and sometimes the reason for that is simply because they *are* mediocre. You can't blame them for that; you can't expect more than verbal diarrhoea. Think about it, how is this post any different from the scores you have just criticised? Believe me, I'm not trying to be condescending here. :)

If you're really looking for serious writing or scathing literary/film criticism, you should read a book maybe or better yet write one. :)

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 8:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The Kid said...

@vishesh: nope... I wont criticize people I know :)

@ps: You missed 3 things. 1. the people I have criticized here are the ultra popular ones, who used to write brilliantly. 2. I am not one of them. 3. they are not failed writers because, they have got new book deals and that is the reason they dont have time for the blogs.

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 9:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jaya said...

Maybe it would be better to let the people know if their way of writing is declining. But again, what goes into one's post is one's decision. Unless one realises that s(he) has started writing crap, I don't think they would like to hear what you say. As the saying goes "Charity begins at home". maybe we should start cleaning ourselves first.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:18:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Ravi Ramaswamy said...

Somewhere, I think this write-up depicts your thoughts on your own blog. There is frustration, there is despondence, there is reflex paranoia. Blogging by sheer virtue of its creation is a random piece of writing, based on the writer's own designated importance of the words he writes.

I agree with what one of the commenters mentioned, if you are tired of spending your coffee time on 'worthless' blogs, read a book instead.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 5:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The Kid said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 6:13:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Tys on Ice said...

jeez, man...now i really have to watch wht i write...wudnt want to tick u off!

pressure...pressure

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 11:43:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home